I was lucky enough to lay my hands on some nice glass around Christmas time 1998. I got a 10", a 14" and a 16" blank, all for R300 ($50) a very good price indeed!!.
The 16" had been ground and half polished already, but the fine grinding was badly done, so I redid 600 grit and polished. However problems arose, It had astigmatism. This is when one axes of the mirror has a longer focal length than the rest of the mirror.
April 1: I managed to combat the astigmatism by polishing with long tool on top strokes along the shorter axis. The strokes tend to lengthen the focal length of that axis. After a few attempts the figure was appallingly bizarre, but after a half hour of regular round-the-barrel-1/3-w-strokes the mirror now has a perfect figure of revolution. As I write, I have another 3 hours or so of polishing to go. Easter starts tomorrow, and hopefully I'll get all the polishing done this weekend. Then its on to the figuring. So far the mirror is very smooth and spherical with no signs of TDE the dreaded bane of my life!!
April 8: I have finished polishing and begun to figure the mirror. So far the edge looks good and the figure is coming along nicely. It is currently at about 1/4 wave, and I want to star test it before I continue. I always take the readings I get from Tex with a pinch of salt. Not because I don't trust the program, but because I don't trust my measurements, I want to try to use the star test as my final figure test as it tests the whole system and is less error prone.
May 21: The mirror is fully polished and has been half figured. According to the star test the images inside and outside of focus look pretty close but with the appalling seeing we've had that means very little, maybe this weekend I'll get it on the test stand to check the figure.
May 25: Did a Ronchi and star test on the mirror last night. The ronchigram showed no signs of TDE at all, this is certainly the best edge I have put on a mirror in my limited 5 mirror experience! The Star test showed about half a wave over-correction which matches up the view on the Foucault stand. Foucult shadows show a nice parabola(a bit deep), very smooth with no roughness, but with a central divot due to my over-eagerness with a 6" tool! A little bit of cold pressing with the 12" tool and some 1/3 W should bring the center up and the over-correction should flatten out somewhat. I always prefer to have to correct an over corrected optic, it is an easier and more natural procedure. Hopefully I'll get this thing finished soon.
June 15: After some star testing I have decided to call it quits. I reckon I have better than 1/4 wave according to Suiter's diagrams so I am happy. The in focus star images are great so I guess I'll leave it for now.
The star test shows very little over correction, using a 33% mask and the secondary-shadow-breakout measurement, there is VERY little between the two. The outer diffraction ring is pretty close (within 20%) both inside and outside of focus. The only defect is slight depressed zone at about 90 % that can be seen in the star test, but it will not ruin the image. So the mirror is off to the coater's tomorrow. I tried cleaning a small mirror with acetone, it works great! I'll soak the mirror in soapy water for an hour or two to remove any cerium residue on the edges. I'll then do a rub with nitric acid to clean any oil off the surface, followed by a rinse with distilled water and finally a rinse with acetone to remove any water and to stop any mineral deposits on the mirror face.
June 17: Cleaned the mirror last night, the acetone method worked really great, so today the mirror goes to the coater's. Hopefully it gets done quickly, although I don't have any eyepieces to use with the scope as of yet as I sold my others with my 12" scope. I have ordered some more from Joseph O'Neil he was really helpful and hopefully I should have my eyepieces next week. I have ordered a 32mm Televue plossel (68x magnification), a 20mm Televue plossel(110x magnification) and a 7.5 mm Antares Ultrascopic (293x magnification) The Antares are made by the same company that makes Orion Ultrascopics.
Design and Mounting of the Optics
The mount is very similar to the 12" scope, all pine ply, but with a lot more effort to make it neat and professional looking. The scope is painted white with an enamel paint, this is waterproof as well as abrasion resistant. The trusses are 1.2mm wall thickness and 19 mm diameter, this makes for a very light scope. I used an brilliant clamping method I got from Willie Koorts (Thanks Willie!) for the lower ends of the trusses and a rather interesting self designed clamp for the upper ends.
Expand photos below by clicking on them to see larger photos with detailed descriptions.
Back to the Home-Made Telescope Gallery